Tuesday 31 May 2005

operating systems

The standard linux installation here at IRISA is so appallingly bad that I'm tempted to go back to Windows. Those who know me realise that that's really saying something.

Honestly, I have no rights to install software packages, so wind up grabbing source files and scattering them around the local disk. This would be less of a problem if the software I needed, exotic things like java runtimes, were available. Software that is installed runs off the network, and thus at speeds not befitting the punchy machine they've given me.

Probably the only thing stopping me from going back to windows is hubris.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I suggest a solution that people use here at DSTC. Our Linux boxes have a similar setup: no perms to install RPMs but a /local area where we can write to. Best thing to do is to setup a stow tree in your local area. Then all your programs can be downloaded as source and compiled to something like /local/usr/local/stow - remembering to adjust PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and maybe CLASSPATH accordingly. The stow will take care of multiple versions of the same package (e.g. JREs).

An even easier way is to use yum - linux's apt-get. You'll have to check if its installed on your dist and perms might still be a problem. Then you can basically 'yum --installroot=/local install jdk' and it should pull down the packages and its dependencies and install it to your locally specified repository.

Hope this help, don't give in to the dark side.

Jim said...

Cheers, good plan that. I gave it a go, but for some reason I still have perms issues. I have perms to run yum, and perms on the installdir, but it still claims I need to be root. Very annoying.