Friday 21 July 2006

how well do you know my music?

Its been a while since I indulged in one of those crappy meme-type things, so here we go. What follows are the first 50 songs with words (there were 28 without) that came out of a shuffle on my iPod. If you know what artist/song one is, put it in the comments. I'll put up each answer as an when someone gets it, or like next week or something.


  1. Where did you come from lady, and ooh won't you take me there, thataway won't do me baby
  2. Take this silver lining, keep it in your own sweet head (David Gray - Silver Lining)
  3. This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts. (Faithless - God is a DJ)
  4. From the very first moment I saw you, that's when I knew all the dreams I held in my heart had suddenly come true (David Gray - Be Mine)
  5. Let me take your hand, I'm shaking like milk
  6. Every time we do this I fall for her, wave after wave after wave, it's all for her (The Cure - From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea)
  7. His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac
  8. We might kiss when we are alone, when nobody's watching, we might take it home (Damien Rice - Delicate)
  9. Don't be shy, just let your feelings roll on by (Cat Stevens - Don't Be Shy)
  10. Here comes a cold, break out the winter clothes
  11. Come gather round people wherever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown (Bob Dylan - The Times, They Are A-Changin')
  12. We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control (Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall)
  13. I didn't have much time for school, spent my days breaking the rules
    and regulations
  14. We 'bout to get up on this thing, the time is now, what you waiting
    for?
  15. Strange infatuation seems to grace the evening tide, I'll take it by
    your side
    (Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing)
  16. Don't hold yourself like that, you'll hurt your knees (Damien Rice - Volcano)
  17. I was totin' my pack along the dusty Winnamucka road (Johnny Cash - I've Been Everywhere)
  18. I'm a long time woman, and I'm serving my time
  19. Come see, I swear by now I'm playing time against my troubles
  20. There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief (Dave Matthews Band (or Dylan, or Hendrix) - All Along The Watchtower)
  21. I creep around slowly and receive from the TV signals about my life (Powderfinger - Don't Wanna Be Left Out)
  22. I can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes and make it go away (U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday)
  23. Somewhere deep inside, something's got a hold on you (Crowded House - Better Be Home Soon)
  24. Ain't it funny how we pretend we're still a child (Smashing Pumpkins - Galapagos)
  25. If there's anything that you want, if there's anything I can do (Beatles - From Me To You)
  26. Ooh ma, Ooh pa, must the show go on (Pink Floyd - The Show Must Go On)
  27. Joan was quizzical, studied metaphysical science in the home (Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer)
  28. I'm gonna make a change for once in my life (Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror)
  29. Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room (Pearl Jam - Daughter)
  30. Not enough, never too much, woman look just like love
  31. Good god, don't jump, a boy sat on the ledge, an old man who had fainted was revived (Simon & Garfunkel - Save the Life of my Child)
  32. Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth (Damien Rice - Cannonball)
  33. Its a family affair, Its a family affair
  34. Well I think its fine building jumbo planes (Cat Stevens - Where Do The Children Play?)
  35. I should be standing at the bar waving a 10-pound note around (The Streets - I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way)
  36. Well, I'm a rambling man, I've got the distance in my eye
  37. I've waited hours for this, I've made myself so sick, I wish I'd stayed asleep today (The Cure - Close To You)
  38. Reverend, reverend, is this a conspiracy?
  39. I let you down, lemme pick you up
  40. You know there's no place like planet home
  41. Well, up and down the puppy's hair, fleas and ticks jump everywhere (Dave Matthews Band - What Would You Say)
  42. Hey jude, don't make it bad, take a sad song and make it better (Beatles - Hey Jude)
  43. Torture from you to me, abducted from the street (Pearl Jam - Animal)
  44. Dansons tu dis, et moi je suis (Sting - La Belle Dame Sans Regrets)
  45. Another summer slipped away without me noticing, at least you had the decency to say "I'll see you later"
  46. All is quiet on new year's day, a world in white gets underway (U2 - New Year's Day)
  47. Let me enhance your mind with a brand new design
  48. Because the world is round, it turns me on (Beatles - Because)
  49. Can you tell me why you're so uptight, out of your head and ain't
    talkin right
    (Ben Harper - Mama's Trippin)
  50. Mama loves her baby, Daddy loves you too (Pink Floyd - The Thin Ice)


My money's on Afe, and on a lot of these going unanswered.

13 comments:

Afe said...

Exciting meme! Me music nerd!

8 - Damien Rice - Delicate
11 - Bob Dylan - The Times, they are A-Changin'
12 - Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall, Part II
16 - Damien Rice - Volcano
20 - Bob Dylan - All Along the Watchtower
21 - Powderfinger - Don't Wanna Be Left Out
22 - U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
23 - Crowded House - Better Be Home Soon
24 - The Beatles - From Me To You (?)
26 - Pink Floyd - The Show Must Go On
27 - The Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer
29 - Pearl Jam - Daughter
32 - Damien Rice - Cannonball
34 - Cat Stevens - Where Do the Children Play?
37 - The Cure - Close to You
42 - The Beatles - Hey Jude
43 - Pearl Jam - Animal
46 - U2 - New Year's Day
48 - The Beatles - Because
50 - Pink Floyd - The Thin Ice

Apart from that I'm stumped.

Jim said...

I pretty much had you pencilled in for most of those, unless my parents had beaten you to Dylan or the Beatles.

All Along the Watchtower was actually a live version by the Dave Matthews Band, but Dylan is obviously a good answer since he wrote it. I would have taken Hendrix, too. I don't think any of the others are covers, though.

You did well by getting in early - that's a bunch of the easy ones you cashed in on. I still think there are some pretty gettable ones, though. The highest-selling artist on the list (I think) still has 2 songs that you've missed. There are also a couple of artists you only partially completed. Having said that, there are 4 or 5 that I'd be shocked to see solved before I give an answer.

So Afe, can we assume you're following with your 50?

Anonymous said...

3 - Faithless (but not sure what song)

er.. that's about all i can get. i can listen to a song on repeat and still not pick up any of the lyrics.

michael

Beck said...

2 - David Gray - Silver Lining
17 - Johnny Cash - I've Been Everywhere
15 - Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing
44 - Mercury Falling - La Belle Dame Sans Regrets

Beck said...

35 - The Streets - I Wouldn't Have it Any Other Way
24 - Smashing Pumpkins - Galapogos

Beck said...

4 - David Gray - Be Mine

Jim said...

Impressive, Beck. The Streets song I had expected to go unanswered.

Mick - its "God is a DJ", and yes, its Faithless. Very distinctive first line.

mindlessmunkey said...

Hmm you've got some tough ones there...

9 - Don't Be Shy - Cat Stevens
31 - Save The Life Of My Child - Simon & Garfunkel
49 - Mamma's Tripping - Ben Harper

That's all I got.

jonzig said...

41 - Dave Matthews Band - What Would You Say

Anonymous said...

Hey hey! Can't believe I came across this list so late in the game. A few possible additions:
6. The Cure - From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea (or something like that)
28. Surely not, but is it Michael Jackson's 'Man in the Mirror'? I'm sure the lyrics fit... :S

Jim said...

Thank you so much Ali, Man in the Mirror was eating me up inside. Man in the mirror, people! Jamown!

I'm going to hold out til Friday to put up the answers, but becuase I'm impatient, I'm going for a massive clue.

The remaining artists are (in alphabetical order): Buckshot Lefonque, The Cure, The Dave Matthews Band, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson, Jamiroquai, The Lucksmiths, John Mayer, Pantera, The RH Factor, Sly and the Family Stone, and Dave Steel.

Keith Duddy said...

It was too initimidating at 50 items, but now that we're down to the "hard" ones - I'll bite.

5 - The Walk by the Cure.

but that's all I got.

Jim said...

Close, Keith. It was the Cure, but it was "Let's Go To Bed".

So here they are.

1. Michael Jackson - P.Y.T.
5. The Cure - Let's Go To Bed
7. Jimi Hendrix - Highway Chile
10. John Mayer - St Patrick's Day
13. Jamiroquai - Soul Education
14. The RH Factor - Crazy Race
18. Pam Grier - Long Time Woman
19. Dave Matthews Band - #41
30. Dave Matthews Band - Busted Stuff
33. Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair
36. Dave Steel - Simple Things
38. Pantera - Cemetery Gates
39. Dave Matthews Band - Let You Down
40. Jamiroquai - Planet Home
45. The Lucksmiths - Cassingle Revival
47. Buckshot LeFonque - My Way (Doin' It)