Monday 7 January 2008

a month is a long time in the blogosphere

I figured I hadn't blogged since around Christmas, but in fact it has been longer than that. Its been an interesting time.

I finished as a NICTA employee on the 21st of December. In fact, I took some leave after that and was on the books until Friday just gone, making it a neat 6 months since I had started. In the end, I just decided that the research wasn't interesting enough to me, and I missed the challenging software engineering problems that I'd faced previously, and that I hope to face in my new position, at QUT, which I start next week.

Liberated of work, I headed up to Toowoomba for a week over Christmas. I played 3 rounds of golf with Dad, shooting 99 at Borneo, 44 for 9 holes at Goombungee, and 101 at Middle Ridge. Every now and then, I look like I know what I'm doing with a golf club in my hands, but lack of practice makes those moments a little too few and far between for me to shoot good scores. One of my new year's resolutions is to make sure I play golf at least 12 times this year. In between golf, I watched a lot of cricket, bought myself a new bike, and just generally made the most of some family time. Lee was up, and with Mum and Dad we headed down to Mullum for Christmas to have lunch with Granny and Andy.

Last Saturday I headed back to Brisbane. First commitment was Gav's birthday dinner at Kedron Park, which was fun. The next day I went out for a hit of tennis with Matt down at New Farm Park. He beat me comfortably in the first set, and I hit the wall physically, but found a sort of second wind to come back and pinch the second set. Another of my new year's resolutions is to play at least 12 games of tennis (although if I pull my finger out and register for fixtures, that will be easily done).

No comments: