Thursday 26 February 2004

I went to try and sign off on an apartment this morning, but, as the saying goes, "Like the ski resort full of husbands looking for girls and girls looking for husbands, the situation is not as symmetrical as it seems." So while I am a tenant in need of an apartment, and the notaire has an apartment in need of a tenant, the mutual need is overwhelmed by the fact that the world is populated entirely by evil sadists who enjoy nothing more than tormenting tenants and potential tenants. That I understood what this one was saying only in general terms and not in the requisite detail was only more tantalising, I suspect.

Anyway, I came away with a lighter cheque book, a list of documents to be furnished, and an appointment for next week. My saving grace was that the departing tenant, Philippe, speaks excellent English, and was very helpful in giving me some more of the details afterwards.

Once I got back to work, Jacques also helped by telling me where I might obtain some of the requisite paperwork. Since this is France, there is of course a complex list of dependencies between it all, but I think it has some weak links, and shall endeavour to attack them tomorrow.

No comments: