Thursday 3 June 2004

On the last night before Mum & Dad arrived (and my holiday commenced), I went with a group to see Kill Bill, Vol. 2. It was the third day of its release in France, coming a couple of months after the US version hit cinemas there. Now, I was a pretty big fan of the original - I saw it 3 times at the cinema - and felt that its iconic imagery and mood overcame its dialogue and length problems. However, the decision to release it in two parts was, and is, a crime, and I believe that even more strongly having seen the second part. Like the first, the second contains moments of truly great cinema, but labours in its length. I don't know whether Tarantino sold out to the Weinsteins, or just fell in love with his footage and couldn't bear to cut it, but a version of these two films, edited together, and with about 30% of the crap stripped out, could have been a truly wonderful piece of cinema.

No comments: