Thursday, 3 June 2004

On the last night before Mum & Dad arrived (and my holiday commenced), I went with a group to see Kill Bill, Vol. 2. It was the third day of its release in France, coming a couple of months after the US version hit cinemas there. Now, I was a pretty big fan of the original - I saw it 3 times at the cinema - and felt that its iconic imagery and mood overcame its dialogue and length problems. However, the decision to release it in two parts was, and is, a crime, and I believe that even more strongly having seen the second part. Like the first, the second contains moments of truly great cinema, but labours in its length. I don't know whether Tarantino sold out to the Weinsteins, or just fell in love with his footage and couldn't bear to cut it, but a version of these two films, edited together, and with about 30% of the crap stripped out, could have been a truly wonderful piece of cinema.

1 comment:

michael said...

I liked the individual elements, but found it quite dull as a 2.5 hour movie. Highlight for me was the mexican pimp - really enjoyed his performance. But by the time we got to Bill i just. couldn't. care. less. Same gripe as Berardinelli basically - with judiscious editing (you suggested 30%, sounds about right...) i would have enjoyed it a LOT more.

And certain scenes brought me right out of the story - like when it switches to 4:3. Requiem for a Dream is proof that similiar techniques can be used without losing effect, but here it just seemed completely unmotivated. Explain it away as tunnel vision? Nope, it was her mouth that was gagged, not her eyes.